The show revealed a confidential Fire Service document about the serious deficiencies in the tunnels of the country’s rail network.
From its autopsy, which lasted a year and a half, it emerged that fifteen tunnels out of the eighteen that were checked, are unsuitable.
In the three tunnels, Agioi Anargyro, Attica and Kakia Skala, no autopsies were carried out as the responsible officials of the OSE never came despite the constant disturbances of the Fire Department.
In general, the executives of the Organization were reportedly aware of the imperative need to map and organize an intervention plan for the fire brigade in case of emergency, but nevertheless, they did not cooperate easily, due to… workload.
What was found…
- Fire fighting equipment is completely absent and where it exists, it is poorly maintained and non-functional
- Inappropriate lighting
- Emergency phones are not working
- There are no escape doors for citizens, but also a means of access for the fire brigade in case of emergency
- There are no catch basins in the event of a train accident carrying toxic or hazardous chemicals
- Ventilation systems are missing or not working
Regarding the tunnels of the railway network, there are unclear safety specifications and a complete lack of legislative framework.
On the contrary, in the motorway tunnels, similar issues are precisely defined and settled. The competent bodies, the OSE, the Railway Regulatory Authority (RAS) and the Ministry of Transport, have been aware for months of the miserable and extremely dangerous situation that prevails in the tunnels, which apparently have not done anything to correct the whole situation…
In a telephone conversation with the show, Epaminondas Bouras, Mechanologist – Forensic Expert of railway accidents, with many years of experience in the Ministry of Infrastructure, referred to the unsuitability of the country’s railway tunnels, characterizing them as “death traps”. He emphasized that the prosecutor’s intervention is necessary to deal with the whole problem and not to mourn other victims in the tunnels of the OSE.
The restart of the railways…
The resumption of rail operations will be phased in five phases, starting with the Suburban with a proposed date of March 22.
On April 1st, the third phase begins, where a morning line is added to the routes on the Athens-Thessaloniki route, while now the restart includes:
- Two station masters required per shift
- Remote control
- Speed reduction
Compensation from Hellenic Train…
“Hellenic Train” did not make use of the term of the contract that allowed it not to compensate the victims of the accident and is proceeding with advance payments of compensation for the families of victims and passengers who were injured, to cover their immediate needs.
- 42,000 euros advance payment to the families of the deceased
- 10,000 euros to the injured who are still hospitalized
- 5,000 euros to the injured who were discharged
- 300 euros for the luggage of the dead and injured
Read details about the case here.