The experience that already existed in Tunnel helped raise awareness and inform viewers about the vulnerable group of older people in our country. Enabled qcitizens to volunteer and help elderly disappearances.
“Tunnel” and “Line of Life” work together in many cases of disappearances and have helped families of the missing.
Statistic data for the disappearances of elderly people as well as adults in 2018 are characteristic:
Elderly and adult disappearances reported to Silver Alert in 2018
• A total of 125 people
• 65 were elderly (mainly suffered by dementia)
• 60 were adults
Frequency of disappearances
• About 11 incidents each month or 3 every week
• 99 missing persons were found (65 in life, 34 dead)
• Out of 34 cases, 7 were suicides
• 64.7% of the disappeared missing persons were found in life and returned to their families
People with memory problems
Greek Police found 9 elderly people
They all returned to their relatives.
One of them had to be housed in the “AKTIOS” elderly care unit, while the others were hospitalized in public hospitals.
Worrying are the incidents of elder abuse reported to Silver Alert in 2018.
In more detail, the complaints concerned:
• 170 elderly
• Of these 32 were men and 115 women
• There were complaints about 23 elderly couples
Of the above:
• 10 cases concerned neglect
• 32 cases of physical abuse
• 23 cases of economic exploitation
• 10 verbal violence, possible harm and mistreatment
• 17 cases in adverse living conditions (lack of relatives)
Help the elderly
Those viewers who want to support the Line of Life and Silver Alert can call from at the number 19844 and donate for each call for 2.15 euro.
(The charge is 3.91 euro per call with VAT and telephony fee)
(Mobile charge is 3.72 euro per call with VAT, and mobile phone fee)
24 hour phone number: 1065
Leave a Reply